2.14.2007

Proud to be a Dion Liberal

Having the opportunity to attend the 2006 Liberal Leadership convention was a thrill of a lifetime for me. Aboard the 530am train to Montreal from Hamilton I was already sporting my Generation Kennedy youth gear. I could barely contain my excitement to represent the man I believed would be the leader of the Liberal party in just a few short days. Both my mother and brother had been Gerard Kennedy delegates at the 1996 Ontario Leadership convention. 10 years later, it was my turn.
At the convention I took on the role of National Youth Volunteer coordinator. This roll allowed me the opportunity to meet youth from all over Canada. My brother was one of the Ontario whips and together we were attempting to figure out where we would go if Gerard did not end up the top guy. As the second ballot results came out and reports of Gerard heading to Dion began to spread, my brother and I stood together discussing our next move. After hearing that Kennedy had made his way over to Stephane Dion we both knew what we needed to do. With tears in my eyes I called Denise Brunsdon, my contact with the Dion camp and said we were coming over. All the youth who had began to surround both my brother and I followed us to get on our green gear. As I looked around, I knew that a pivotal moment in my life, and the life of the Liberal Party had just passed.
It was a proud moment for me when I looked at the convention centre from the stage and saw a sea of green spreading across the floor. The party was coming together, rallying around a man who would carry the principles and style of leadership that I had seen in Gerard. Once I saw Denise Brunsdon I knew I had made the right choice. I joined the Dion campaign in full force and began making phone calls in order to pull out the vote. This was an inclusive team and I was happy to be on board.
I am now so excited to be gearing up for an election. Stephane Dion has even inspired a member of my family to run for the nomination on Hamilton Mountain. I know the Liberal Party team is stronger then ever, more united then ever, and more ready then ever, to govern our great country under Stephane Dion.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

That's a great post, Elyse. Thanks very much for leaving out the part where i bawled my face off as i met your mum for the first time. Lol.

Oxford County Liberals said...

Nice trolling, Ontario Lad, but I suspect that the Opposition will take the government to court first and allow them the humiliation of being told by the Supreme Court to obey the law.

WesternGrit said...

Ah... I hear the sniveling of a typically angry neoCon.

Nice post Elyse. Even though we were not on the "same team" during the leadership, it is great to see a young Liberal enjoying the thrill of a delegated convention (or any convention for that matter). It was not too many years ago that I attended my first federal convention... (OK, it was in the 90s...).